Friday, July 22, 2011

Netflix again

Everybody pissed at netflix.

Ok, exec made a stupid comment.  I think he must have been talking about his lattes, cause I sure don't drink them.  And I'm sure he'll be getting less lattes with the number of people leaving the subscription service -- at least they are saying they are leaving it.  Don't know how many I believe really are.

A while ago I did the math.  I was on the 3 DVDs out at a time plan.  Timed it so that we received a new DVD each day, sending back one each day and one in transit.  It came to about 24 DVDs a month (don't get them on Sundays or Holidays).

24 * .44 (postage one way) = 10.56.  And then they pay the return postage, which is another 10.56.  And yes, it is first class postage each way (USPS was complaining about the added cost of processing the Netflix mailers and Netflix's response was that they were paying for first class postage).  So 21.12 just in postage alone, and I was only paying $21 a month to Netflix. And then I get all the streaming....streaming I never asked for in the first place, they just started offering one day automatically with my plan. So that was basically a free add-on, which my kids have enjoyed immensely (no less then 3 to 4 movies/shows a day streamed during the summer).

I had been paying for 4 to 6 DVD rentals a week at blockbusters every other week (4 kids, 2 adults, everybody has to have their own), and that was coming to $40 / mo in DVD entertainment...way more than $24, the new cost of streaming + 3 DVDs out at a time.  And for that $40, I got half the number of DVDs and NO streaming other than youtube.

Still seems like a deal to me.

I'm on streaming only for a small period of time, see if it meets the demand well enough.  I was happy to see some stuff on streaming I'd been waiting for (such as Star Trek) and if we want to see something new, there's always blockbuster...or redbox.  Not that I've been all that impressed with hollywood offerings for a while now.

I laugh at the complaints of the streaming movies getting bogged down and going slow and what not making the streaming not worth it.  It isn't Netflix's fault.  My connection is great.  It is the ISP.  When we were on comcast, 2 at a time were not a problem.  Now we have to share nicely because our DSL is much slower.  But for those using wireless -- yeah, your ISP throttles you big time, it ain't netflix doing it!  LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment