Monday, November 22, 2010

Netflix Rant

Don't take this post wrong, I really, really like netflix.  It has saved me tons in the amount I was spending on DVD rentals from the local video store.  And when streaming came to the Wii & PS3, I was very excited and happy.

But I do have some gripes.  Things they could fix that would improve the service and make it so much better without that much effort.

1) Parental Controls.  This is a major gripe on my part.  Their controls totally suck.  There are videos that are Not Rated and UnRated.  Any videos in these categories are only playable if you have the parental control set to "everything".  I prefer to have my parental controls set to PG-13, which removes all of the rated R stuff from my browsing selection.  But it also removes all NR and UR, many of which are children's TV shows.  I would also like the ability to set the parental controls for each activated device, so that I don't have to worry about my kindergartner picking up the Wii remote and selecting a mature video after he's finished watching Caillou.  Even better would be to allow selecting a profile when you log on, with each profile able to have their own instant queue. 

2) I think there is something seriously wrong with the NetFlix channel.  When it first came out, I noticed I was getting several disconnections from Netflix.  No problem, I'd just stick in the Disc and use the version off there and I didn't see anymore disconnects.  But now that version has been disabled by Netflix, so I have no choice, I have to use the downloadable channel.  Since these disconnects break the middle of the movie and the only way to get it to reconnect has been to exit the channel and relaunch it, only to have it happen again.  Very frustrating.

3) PS3/Wii search is very limited.  You cannot go beyond one page of search results.  Which is a problem when there are more than one page full of shows that all start with the same name (like Mystery Science Theater).  It's a nice feature that was added, and long overdue.  Now go back and do it the right way.

4) Could really use the subtitles. 

2 comments:

  1. Some have subtitles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Netflix has started adding subtitles to some. Also, I was able to find out something more about #2 above. There are other people experiencing this problem. I was able to resolve mine by using a different router. Convenient for me since I have to wireless routers in the house. But I and other people noticed that the problem did not start happening until they did the channel, so I know it's something they can resolve in software.

    ReplyDelete